Saturday, June 23, 2012

The inspiring documentary about Civil Rights struggle in America


In recent discussion with friends and acquaintances, I learned with surprise that many have not seen 'Eyes on the Prize' one of the best documentary and critically acclaimed film series on civil rights struggle in America.  The series was aired first on Public Television in the 1980s. What surprised me the most is that the people I was having discussion with lived much longer in the U.S. before me. I saw the series by borrowing VCRs from public library, not long after I arrived in the United States in the 90s.  BTW, I am big fan of documentaries especially those produced by the likes of Ken Burns, Bill Moyer etc.. and broadcasted on Public Television such as PBS. I am tempted to buy them almost every time they are on sale. I wish I am financially well secure and have the money to collect all of them. 
Coming back to 'Eyes on the Prize',  it was well done documentary. So captivating and intellectually stimulating for me. I borrowed one after the other and watched some parts for 2nd or 3rd time. (At least not for 10th time which I confess to have seen one Hong Kong made martial arts movie as a teenager back in Addis @ Cinema Impero. The reason & circumstances for me to see a movie for 10th time is a story by itself for another time.) 
I still can not get enough of watching this well done civil rights documentary. After seeing all in the series, I decided that these videos should be on my collection. At the time they were 'out of print' meaning all officially published copies were sold out. Besides, It seems there were some copy right controversy and there was no indication that PBS would be able to reproduce more copies. Hence, only option was those videos circulating in second-hand markets. Open air  flea-markets (SENBET GEBEYAs), rare & second-hand book stores etc.. Long story short, I was able to obtain Five volumes out of the Seven volumes. I was happy and was able to share it to friends who made authorized single copies for themselves. I knew It would be matter of time that I would find the remaining copies. Alas, for satisfaction of all the copyright issue seems to have been resolved and the documentary film series is out in the market remastered and in DVD. Now, the series is even on Youtube. I can not say that they are the authorized & complete ones but they gave me the same emotional uplifting when I see them again on Youtube and I would like to share them with you here. 
Final note to my Ethiopian compatriots who lives in the U.S. and fond to say 'POLITIKA INA KORENTI BERUQU NEW (better be far from electric wire & politics)  or 'I don't like 'POLITIKEGNOCH' (politicians read activists).  Watch these clips and ask yourself where would you be without the activism & sacrifice of those 'POLITIKEGNOCH' you see in this documentary? I have no problem if you do not desire to engage in partisan politics or running for political office as politician. But if our African American brothers & sisters remained apolitical as you suggest (not involved, engaged in political stuff) would you be able to benefit the rights you are enjoying in this country? Just food for thought.
Here are some parts of 'Eye on the Prize'. For the rest of videos (Episodes 8-14) watch them at the following youtube page

Eyes on the Prize 1 - Intro / Overview

Eyes on the Prize 1 - Awakening





Eyes on the Prize 2 - Fighting Back



Eyes on the Prize 3 - Aint scared of your jails



Eyes on the Prize 4 - No Easy Walk



Eyes on the Prize 5 - Mississipi Is this America?



Eyes on the Prize 6 - Bridge to Freedom



Eyes on the Prize 7 - The Time has come